Scribe Insight: Multiple sleeping processes on SQL Server.

Yesterday we were facing a severe performance issue on our SQL Server. We have a table in which one of our scribe DTS package pushes data before inserting it into MS-CRM. For some unknown reason the data was not getting inserted (Investigation on this issue would be posted in a different blog shortly). While investigating the issue, we were required to delete the data in the table so as to start with new set of data.

But somehow the data was not getting deleted. We even tried Truncating the table, but were unable to get through. However the system was not giving any error. This made us think that there is some sort of Deadlock being created on the table. Some process has lock on the data and is not releasing it.

On using the “sp_who2” command on the SQL editor, we found there are more than 200 processes being created by scribe. We thought that these processes were the reason why the performance was getting hampered. So many processes trying to access the same resource is bound create performance issue. We were also concerned whether the number of connections would go on increasing every time the scheduled package is run. Since these processes would keep on consuming precious memory and eventually exhausting all the resources and leading to memory leaks.

On further investigation we found out that scribe creates these processes to make sure memory is cached and is available to respond quickly to an actual process request. Most of these processes were in sleeping mode and were waiting for commands. One more interesting observation was that all of these sleeping processes were pointing to the ScribeInternal database. There were few other processes which were pointing to our custom databases and few of them were suspended, because of the deadlock issue. The system started working again after manually killing these processes.

The scribe processes only awakes when there is certain task to be done and hence do not consume any additional resources. These processes are being monitored by the Scribe Monitor Service.

Advertisements

Scribe Insight: Error in accessing System variable -ORA-01861 Literal does not match format string

Day before yesterday we saw one of the integration processes in our Scribe Console was giving error “Message Processing failed”. At first sight we thought it was the same “Message Processor” error which we were getting earlier this week. We simply restarted the Process.

But yesterday we saw the same error again. On further investigation we found it had to do something with the Oracle source. It was unusual as this package was running perfectly fine for quite some time.

We opened the DTS and tried testing the custom source query; it gave error saying “ORA-01861 Literal does not match format string”. We tried running the query in Oracle without “where” clause and it ran. We thought this has to do something with the conditions used in the where clause. Since we want our query to return rows which have come after the last time our package has ran, we are using two Scribe variables like “:LastRunDateTime” (returns a timestamp for the last date and time the DTS was run) and “:ThisRunDateTime” (returns the current execution date and time as a timestamp).

WHERE DATE BETWEEN :LastRunDateTime AND :ThisRunDateTime

At first, we thought something has changed in the Oracle view which we were using! Hence we verified the data types of the field which we were referring. But it was of type “Date”. So we opened another DTS package with similar logic embedded; it was still working. We thought there is some issue with the DTS package itself. So we copied the custom query in a new package, and to our surprise it worked!

Bingo!! We got our solution….

Last week we had network outage for almost 2-3 days! During that period the integration processes were time and again trying to access the Oracle source and they failed. This kept going on until we paused the packages. It was at this time that scribe had lost track of the two system variables for this particular package. Hence the variables were not returning proper value to the query.

After knowing the cause of the error, we simply ran the DTS without the where clause. This initialised the :LastRunDateTime value. We uncommented the where clause and tested the query and as expected, this time it worked.